I’ve had my mobile chicken coop setup for a while now, but I have not been pleased with the laying boxes. They were too close to the floor and made it too easy for passing chickens to peck at the eggs.
This week I decided to redo the laying boxes by making them higher, deeper, and wider. Hopefully that will discourage the “egg pecking” and set me up for the new crop of laying hens that I’ll be adding.
Here is the outside view.
I was able to reuse the board from my old laying box lid. I put some new metal on it, and added a scrap trip piece above it for a “drip edge”.
Here is the inside view of the laying box. They are about 3.5″ deep. Inside I’ve put a thick layer of shredded paper.
Here is a happy hen getting settled in the new box.
Hopefully this will help my egg production go up a bit. I’ll be moving in new hens in the fall, and culling out some old ones. Some roosters are going away this weekend, hopefully. Can you say “Chicken and Rice” 😉