Took a loooooooooong round trip to Liberty, KY to pick up our processed pork and deliver 1/2 to a friend. We put some serious miles on the car, but it was worth it.
The live weight of our first hog was a bit less than I had hoped for, coming in at 223 lbs, but I’m still thrilled with how the meat turned out.
Check out 1/2 of the sausage:
Half of the sausage
And this is 1/2 of the other cuts (not including Bacon)
Roast, Ribs, Pork Chops…
I didn’t take a photo of the bacon, however we got back 7 nice packages of generously sliced bacon. We ate an entire pack this morning. It did not stay around long enough to pose for a photo. Yum!
We will process the 2nd hog in about another month… so… we should get this same amount of meat back AGAIN.
Yippie!!!!! It’s thrilling when the farm work really starts to pay off.
From my Facebook post: We are about to start processing our hogs and cows. First hog will be processed at the end of this month. We will keep that one. We will have another one to go in about another month. 1/2 is spoken for already. Cows will go for processing in a month or so. We will sell in 1/2 cow increments. We will do one at a time as they are ready. If you want the second half of the hog, or would like to be on the list for 1/2 a beef let me know ASAP. Even if you have told me a while back, please email me AGAIN… so I can put you on the list.
Update: The second hog has also been scheduled for processing, as well as the first beef. Let me know ASAP if you want 1/2 hog or cow.
Other happy notes: Just double checked with our meat processor to confirm that he can cure and smoke meat. Answer: Yes. Oh happy day!!!!!
Bacon and Sausage
I will have one Jersey and one Holstein to be processed fairly soon, then there will be a bit of a delay before the next three cows are ready. I’m keeping 1/2 of each, so that means if you want meat very soon you need to get on it…
Beef to be
Yep. That is what I said: “Flying Turkey Coop.” Well, it is not really supposed to fly, but that is what it did this morning. Here is the coop across the driveway.
The brown square in the photo below is where the coop is supposed to be.
When the coop left, the turkeys stayed in the general area of their coop… in the rain. They looked a little bit lost and confused. I’m thankful that they didn’t fly off through.
Turkeys looking lost
My neighbor came up and helped me move the coop from the pasture back across the driveway into a safe place. I decided to put it in front of the barn for now. It is in sad shape. The wind did a number on it.
Note to self: Tarps keep the rain out, but they make good sails as well.
Looking inside, you can tell that the coop took a beating. The board on the back is supposed to be parallel with the one on the bottom. The coral panels were even bent. Bummer.
Inside the deformed coop
The door won’t close now, so I had to use a bungee on it.
I did manage to get the turkeys back in fairly easily though. That was a blessing. I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing fences, praying, and fussing at the devil for trying to mess with my stuff. “Don’t make me tell my daddy!”
Here is another fun result of the storm this morning:
Not a good spot for the pigs. We had to move that after fixing the fence. Fun, in a strange sorta way. Kinda like I imagine that mud wrestling would be… no, actually, more fun than that.